Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Somebody Should Have Told Me...

Exciting news in the Sonnonstine household!  Our air shipment arrived in Africa last week, cleared customs on Thursday, and arrived on our doorstep on Monday morning.  It took 4 grown men to deliver our 5 boxes.  I am beginning to think that Kenyans operate much like Americans build roads.  There are always a bunch of men  standing around looking at the two guys actually doing the work.  They brought the boxes upstairs and then we all stood around while one man, painstakingly slowly, cut open each individual box.  I can't imagine  how long it will take them to do this when our surface shipment arrives with over 80 boxes!  Then they all came downstairs while I signed paperwork.  I offered them some snacks and they ate my two loaves of apple bread I had just baked as well as a Twix bar.  They were thrilled with what a generous mazunga I was.  :)

Of the 5 boxes of items, 99% of it was for Claire--toys, books, bath stuff, a ridiculous amount of onesies, pants,dresses, baby sunglasses, hair bows, her swing (which I AM excited about!), bouncy seat, etc.  I am amazed at what I THOUGHT a baby needed to be happy, versus what a baby REALLY needs--her mom and dad to love on her, a good soft blanket to snuggle in, and something to fill up her empty tummy...all of those things we had in Africa BEFORE the air shipment even came. I think when I begin my volunteering at the orphanage here, I will be bringing a box of items with me each time to donate.  Those babies don't have a mom or dad to snuggle them, a soft blanket, or much food in their bellies.  What a lucky, lucky baby Ms. Claire is. 

Now if we just had some damn diet coke in that shipment.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Have you seen the SodaStream infomercial? You can make soda at home!!! Not sure if the carbonators can be mailed or even how yummy their version of diet cola tastes. Looks neat though! Miss you!

    http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

    Love ya,
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you have some more of "home" with you! Thinking of you and enjoying keeping up with you here and on Facebook. You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good mazunga :) It is amazing and silly all the things we buy for these kids and they play with boxes and packing peanuts! I am going to TRY and make a sort of Pillow pet for the girls this Christmas (you know, to save money?? After the pattern, fabric, accesories and time?) SHould have just paid the $20 nad sucked it up.

    I hear you on the Diet Coke, ice and a straw. In Colombia? that was wht I missed the most? Once I got on US soil? that was the first extravagance I grabbed at the airport! hope you arent drooling reading this :)

    Love you big and miss you all soo soo much! Cam and I listened to Dani California this morning and pointed to each other when we heard "Never made it up to MN' for nerd Seth :) Hug my baby! AND YOU TOO!

    ReplyDelete