Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Kenyan Tetris and more

This morning Claire and I woke up to huge thunderstorms and no power. The power goes out several times a day--rain or no rain.  We just snuggled in bed and listened to the rain until it stopped.  When it finally finished raining, we got dressed and headed outside for our morning walk around the compound.  The compound in the morning is busy, busy, busy, with workers cleaning the yards of fallen leaves and flowers, sweeping the streets, and catching up on daily gossip with one another.  The workers are getting to know Claire and I and come over to say hi to us.  I have convinced several of them to call me Mrs. Sarah as Mrs. Sonnonstine was proving quite difficult for them to say!  Today was interesting to see because many of the women had plastic grocery bags on their heads to protect their hair-do's from the rain and many of the men were washing their feet in the puddles to get rid of the mud.  The soil here is a very thick dark red and gets all over everything when it is wet.  I love our walks around the compound--it is good to get out and not feel so isolated.
 

Seth is going SUV shopping today on his lunch break.  I think it will be great for our spirits to have our own transportation and not have to rely on taxi cabs or the generosity of others to get around. We are looking at either the Honda CRV or the Toyota Harrier (funny name!) which is the international version of the Lexus SUV.  A four wheel drive in Kenya is a must because of the potholes, dirt roads (which can become un-passable after a big rain), rough terrain and crazy traffic...as far as I can tell, there are no traffic rules.  Someone told Seth and I that driving here is comparable to playing Tetris...you just have to try and squeeze in wherever you can.  I think it is certain that you will get into an accident in Nairobi at least once.  Air conditioning is also a must as you are not supposed to drive with your windows down.  There have been an increase in car-jackings and keeping your windows up is one way to protect you.  According to our security briefing at the Embassy, however, there are some Kenyans who may rob you, but they are known for taking your sim card out of the phone they are stealing and returning it to you so you don't lose your phone numbers and other information. Too funny.   I will keep you posted on the car situation. Hopefully we will be out and exploring soon.

Today I am attempting to bake bread.  Yes, me.  The bread here is terrible--it crumbles in your hand it is so dry.  I haven't made a loaf of bread since home ec in 8th grade so this should be interesting...  The food thing has been an issue for me.  I am either afraid of eating it due to bacteria or freshness, or it is unappealing and not what I was looking for.  Supermodel  body and lots of vitamins here we come.  :)  A garden of my own will be a great place to grow foods I love and will feel safe eating.

Off to check on my bread.  More soon! 

2 comments:

  1. I hear that haystacks are a hit and you might enjoy making those :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mom (ahma) and Rod ("papa")November 14, 2010 at 6:41 AM

    Hey Sarah, I thinking what would we do without skype,but now we can add your blog and movies on SD cards, and email and who knows what next?

    ReplyDelete