Our car arrived last week. We are beyond excited. It is a beautiful, shiny, silver Honda CRV. For the past few months we have been driving around in a mini van rental while we waited for our car to arrive from Japan. Here in Kenya there is a rather ubiquitous form of public transportation called the "matatu." Picture a minivan from 1984 with decals of Brittany Spears or other American pop icons all over and you will get a general idea of what they look like. From what I understand, as we diplomats are forbidden to ride them, they are designed to fit perhaps 10 - 12 people. However, I don't believe that I have ever seen a matatu with less than 25 people on it. Yesterday I saw a mother on one with 3, yes 3, children in her lap. You may even see chickens and goats strapped to the top of the matatu. There are generally 2 people operating the bus--one to drive and another to collect the small fee to ride. The second person also seems to have the job of hanging halfway out the window to wave traffic out of their way as they do not stop and are not concerned with accidents or passenger demise. It is not uncommon to see a matatu in the ditch or turned over on the side of the road. I tell you this because Seth and I's rental van resembled a matatu so much that we even had the Kenyans fooled. The first few days we were here I kept thinking Kenyans were so friendly as we were out driving the pot hole ravaged roads. They would wave and I would smile back. How welcoming Kenyans were! It was only after mentioning this to Seth that I realized that they weren't waving at us to say "Hello." They were waving us down for a ride. We could have charged prime rates and made some serious dough. Heck, we could have strapped Claire to the roof with the chickens and sheep to make even more money with additional passengers. Live and learn.Needless to say, you can expect my blog to get more interesting as Seth, C, and I now have means to get out and explore our African surroundings. And if we pick up a Kenyan and a few chickens on the way, so be it.

Oh, lucky Walter!!! So happy that y'all finally have your own vehicle!! Good luck on your adventures and keep us traveling with you!
ReplyDeleteLove, Natalie
Loved it, Sarah. I'm thinking you should write a book! Mom
ReplyDeleteI agree with your Mom! You need to write a book! So happy for Walter.
ReplyDeleteLove, AC
I agree write a book. I love keeping up with your blog. I am so happy you got your own vehicle and cannot wait to hear about your grand adventures.
ReplyDeleteLove, Tami
When I was in Cambodia they would have mothers with their small children riding on motos!! And I'm all about the 5 strap harness! :) Love the blog....
ReplyDelete-Angel