So I am having a rough week...I think that is why I have been avoiding writing. I don't want it to seem like whining, just having a tough time right now. It's funny, it usually makes me crazy that the decorations are out at Target before Halloween, but I have found myself turning corners at Nakumatt (our grocery store) and looking for gaudy bows and reams of wrapping paper and there are none. I miss that. I miss the shopping malls with the packed parking lots. I miss the cookie exchanges that I moan and groan about having to bake for. I miss the aisles of Christmas candy and junk you swear you will never buy but you do. I miss snow. I miss my friends. I miss my family. They say overseas moves have high peaks and low valleys. I think I'm gonna need to start climbing that mountain again because I seem to be down at the bottom right now. Never fear, my jolly-ness will return.
Seth has been working with a Swedish man here at the Embassy and he and his wife invited our family over to their home last night for a dinner party. It was the night the Swedes celebrate St. Lucia. According to tradition, December 13th is the longest night of the year, the Swedish Winter's Solstice (contrary to what we believe is Dec. 21st). We were told a fantastic story of women wearing candles on their heads, walking to neighbor's homes, to bring light in a time of darkness. Some believed that this was to keep away the ghosts during the longest and darkest night of the year, other Swedes associate the holiday with WWII--bringing light during a time of darkness. It was a beautiful, warm night last night and we were all sitting out on the veranda when up the path, in the darkness, came 10 young girls dressed in white gowns with red sashes, carrying candles. They were students from the Swedish School in Nairobi. They performed several songs for us. It was beautiful. I was so glad and honored to be there for that special night. It made me realize that even though Seth and I can't be home for Christmas this year, we can start our own traditions with Claire that will still make the holidays special for us.
As I sit here thinking of all of you, I wish you more light than darkness this holiday season. We are sending lots of hugs and love your way during the holiday. Now go drive around for an hour to find a parking space at the mall, wait in line for what seems like forever to buy junk you didn't intend to buy, love on your family and laugh with your friends...and think of me! Merry Christmas, everyone!
My dear friend! I can't imagine being so far away from home. Sending warm thoughts and wishes your way!! I love Claire's sweet picture, and I am sure she is a bright spot in your days far away. She is precious!! Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful, brave family!
ReplyDeleteWow, as always, you are amazing with words. I am bawling reading this, missing you and wishing I could make you FEEL all the love we send to you each & every day (even though I SUCK at Skype) Christmas here missed you as well.
ReplyDeleteThe St Lucia story was so beautiful. I can only imagine you and hearing ghosts and then thinking along the lines of Stephen King and then these beautiful girls coming over the hill. How COOL was that???
I hope the monkeys and the elephants get to my house soon to deliver your Christmas package to you because I am tired of looking at all this stuff that needs to get to you..... (ok or maybe I need to make it to the post office to send it all!) LOVE YOU SO SO MUCH~ Jodi